By George K. Francis
Praise for George Francis's A Topological Picturebook:
Bravo to Springer for reissuing this specified and gorgeous e-book! It not just reminds the older new release of the pleasures of doing arithmetic via hand, but in addition exhibits the recent new release what ``hands on'' relatively means.
- John Stillwell, college of San Francisco
The Topological Picturebook has taught an entire new release of mathematicians to attract, to determine, and to think.
- Tony Robbin, artist and writer of Shadows of fact: The Fourth size in Relativity, Cubism, and sleek Thought
The vintage reference for a way to provide topological information visually, filled with extraordinary hand-drawn pictures of complex surfaces.
- John Sullivan, Technische Universitat Berlin
A Topological Picturebook we could scholars see topology because the unique discoverers conceived it: concrete and visible, freed from the formalism that burdens traditional textbooks.
- Jeffrey Weeks, writer of The form of Space
A Topological Picturebook is a visible banquet for somebody concerned about mathematical images. Francis offers beautiful examples to construct one's "visualization muscles". whilst, he explains the underlying rules and layout options for readers to create their very own lucid drawings.
- George W. Hart, Stony Brook University
In this choice of narrative gemstones and exciting hand-drawn images, George Francis demonstrates the chicken-and-egg courting, in arithmetic, of snapshot and textual content. because the ebook used to be first released, the case for images in arithmetic has been gained, and now it's time to contemplate their that means. A Topological Picturebook is still indispensable.
- Marjorie Senechal, Smith university and co-editor of the Mathematical Intelligencer